Monday, April 19, 2010

Day In Day Out

My alarm goes off at 6 AM but I hit the snooze until 7:30. I find it necessary to ease into the day. I get to work just after 9 and two of my kindergärtners are always waiting. It's the little gay kid and Jane. Jane is pretty awesome. Her dad is in Seattle for a few months so I have taken on the role of both teacher and father. Unfortunately, as soon as she declared me her paternal proxy, the other nine kindies did as well. The responsibility is a bit overwhelming. I anticipate the return of Jane's father so I can return to being just a teacher, coddling young minds and no longer meeting emotional needs. Maybe then, too, they will stop touching my arm hair.

I consider my job to be pretty easy. I sit in a chair and talk to five year olds all morning. They do a lot of the talking, and I learn a great deal from them. Today I found out that Poland's president had died. The kids said he died when a volcano erupted. I searched online and found it was, instead, a plane crash. They don't always have the details right, but when I was five I had never heard of Poland, so there.

Today's quote: "Martin Luther King, Jr. was president. He was assinated."